auto-py-to-exe can now be installed using pip by executing the following in the terminal:

python -m pip install auto-py-to-exe

Then to run it, you can simply call it in the terminal:


And as the original, you can still pass a file to pre-fill the script you want to package:

PyPI Version PyPI Supported Versions License Downloads

General Talk About the Process

I decided to create a new repository for the package that would be hosted on PyPI as the video that I provided will still help people understand what is going on. In the old repo I have provided a link to the new one and added in the instructions for installation using pip.

This new repo was later merged into the original repo

It took me a few hours to find out how to structure my package and have everything set up properly from the readme to the entry-points.

I use a lot of resources for finer details and looked at a lot of files but these resources would have been the most helpful: - Packaging Python Projects - Publishing your First PyPI Package by/for the Absolute Beginner - GitHub/kennethreitz/

Issues With Entry-points

One issue I sat on for a bit was an error message saying EntryPoint must be in 'name=module:attrs [extras]' format. I had provided auto-py-to-exe=auto-py-to-exe.__main__:run which followed the pattern provided.

I had completely forgotten though that when importing packages normally in Python, hyphens cause a lot of issues. To fix this I initially changed all traces of 'auto-py-to-exe' to 'auto_py_to_exe'. I later found out that I could still keep the package name 'auto-py-to-exe' by setting name='auto-py-to-exe' and setting everything else (including the folder name) to 'auto_py_to_exe'; a small price to pay for the name.

So to take from this: hyphens < underscore in package names.

Issues With README

The next issue was with PyPI's Warehouse itself (afterwards). I wanted to render my README in PyPI but it wasn't doing it for some reason. I had later found that when looking at the for Eel I had thought it was a great idea to take the long_description value being set to open('', encoding='utf-8').readlines()[1]. I thought very little about this and in the end, actually decided to test it and found that it was only taking the first line from my README; copy and pasting is dangerous.

Next was the fact that you needed a version of setup tools that was waaaay higher than what I had; a simple fix of course using pip install setuptools --upgrade.

Lastly, I had to add long_description_content_type='text/markdown' to but in all honesty, did it in the middle of trying to solve the above two issues so am not 100% sure if this actually changed anything.

The lesson to take from this; know what you're copying and StackOverflow is very helpful (as I didn't already know that...)